All Nixa residents who wish to hold a garage sale inside the city limits must obtain a garage sale permit. Permits are free of charge, but residents are limited to two per year.
Garage sale permit applications may be completed online at the tab above or in-person at City Hall.
The Nixa Citywide Garage Sale is always held on Mother’s Day weekend each calendar year. No permit is needed for this event, and it does not count toward residents’ two sale limit. The Nixa Chamber of Commerce now also holds a second citywide garage sale in the fall and permits are not required for this event either.
For more information regarding garage sale permits, contact City Hall at 417-725-3785.
Garage Sale Sign Requirements:
- Garage Sale signs are limited to four signs per dwelling address.
- Property owner permission must be obtained prior to locating a sign.
- Signs can be no larger than 2 feet by 2 feet with a maximum height of 3 feet off the ground.
- Signs must contain the date, location, and phone number of the property owner holding the sale.
- Signs may be placed within city right-of-way but are not allowed within the sight triangle of an intersection.
- All signs must be removed within 48 hours of placement.
- Signs are not permitted on the Hwy. 160 corridor or on any utility pole.
Violations shall result in a $50.00 fine.
Why does the city require permits for garage sales?
The limit to 2 garage sales per year for each address plus the citywide garage sales for which permits are not required means each address may hold up to 4 garage sales in a year. Allowing more than this can be considered a nuisance by some neighborhoods, or could cross the line into operating a retail business out of a residence, which is not permitted according to zoning ordinances. Also, the permit is required so that if there are public safety issues related to a garage sale event, first responders have a record of the responsible person to contact in relation to the event. This has been vital in the past when people parking along neighborhood streets during garage sales blocked the roadway in a manner that first responder vehicles were not able to pass through. By having the permit with contact information on file, the first responders are able to more quickly address and correct this kind of situation for community safety.