The Animal Control program was established to enforce the care of our animal population within the city limits of Nixa. Animal Control is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on call 24 hours a day for emergencies. Outside of their normal hours Patrol Officers handle animal calls.
The Animal Control Division has several responsibilities which include:
- Maintaining the City kennel to exceed State Department of Agriculture standards
- Catching and caring for dogs abandoned or allowed to run loose
- Picking up dead animals from public property
- Investigating animal bites and cases of neglect
- Submitting necessary paperwork and proper reports
- Enforcement of City and State Laws, which include: animal cruelty and neglect, city tag requirements, animal limitations, dangerous dogs, rabies vaccinations, and the city leash law
Animal Control Officers know that many citizens think of our pets like family. With that in mind, remember some simple tips to help provide the best care for your animal:
- Don’t leave an animal in a vehicle in extreme weather (hot or cold!)
- Make sure your animal is properly vaccinated to include rabies shots.
- When walking an animal, make sure it is on a leash.
- Make sure dogs are properly tagged with a Nixa City Dog Tag. These tags help us identify your animal if it gets away from the owners care.
- Spay or Neuter your animals.
- A proper shelter is required for all animals, regardless of where they are held.
Click the following link to view our Animal Ordinances.