Special Use Permits

A special use permit is needed when a resident is wanting to use a particular piece of property for something that isn’t normally allowed on that property by the city’s zoning restrictions or code of ordinances. The property owner would be applying for a permanent exemption to the normal rules in order to use the property as desired.

If you would like to acquire a special use permit, please contact the Nixa Development Department at 417-725-5850. Granting of a Special Use Permit requires review by city staff and approval by City Council. Staff in the Planning & Development Department will advise you on what can be done to earn a staff recommendation for approval, but ultimately the decision on whether to grant the permit is up to the Council.

In contrast, a special event permit is needed for temporary events that would disrupt the flow of traffic or businesses, such as closing streets or parking lots.

Events requiring a special event permit could include anything from 5K runs to block parties, including anything with a sound system or providing alcohol on city-owned property. Please contact Nixa City Hall at 417-725-5850 if you aren’t quite sure your event qualifies.

If you are wanting to a host an event that would require a special event permit, submit a Special Event Request form, then please allow for at least ten (10) business days for review by the Nixa Police and Public Works departments. Impacts to traffic and public safety are among the concerns the city will consider before deciding whether or not staff will recommend approval of the permit application to City Council. You will then be contacted regarding your request and you may be asked to make adjustments to your request. Granting of a Special Event Permit requires review by city staff and approval by City Council.