1. Any unit at least one (1) year old requires rental inspections if it is vacated during that year and between each tenant.
2. A rental inspection fee of $25.00 for the inspection must be paid prior to the inspection either by coming in personally or by phone.
3. Upon payment of the $25.00 fee, the inspection can be scheduled during business hours between 8:00 am – 3:30 pm, Monday – Friday. There is no set time for inspections. Inspections can be designated as A.M. or P.M. A.M. inspections are from approximately 8:00 A.M. – 11:30 A.M; P.M. inspections are from 12:30 P.M. – 3:30 P.M.
4. There will be a penalty fee of $25.00 if an appointment is scheduled and the inspector is unable to access the unit as scheduled by the applicant. When a unit fails the initial inspection and all repairs are not completed at the time of the re-inspection, a penalty fee of $25.00 will be assessed and must be paid prior to the 3rd inspection.
5. It shall be unlawful for any person to occupy or for any owner or agent thereof to permit the occupation of any building, or addition thereto, or part thereof, for any purpose until a passed inspection has been issued by the City of Nixa. If a rental property is occupied before a “Passed Inspection” is issued, a $50.00 inspection fee will be required. If a landlord allows more than one violation, a summons to appear in Municipal Court will be issued.
6. The tenant must bring the passed inspection to sign up for utilities. One (1) copy of the passed inspection will be left at the site by the inspector. Utilities will not be transferred unless the passed inspection accompanies the request.
7. If an inspection fails, the landlord has 90 days (3 months) to make the corrections and call in the re-inspection. If 90 days pass without a re-inspection, then the inspection will be closed out and a new inspection will be required and a charge of $25.00 will be assessed.
8. Landlords with more than 30 units under single administrative control may arrange for individual inspections without having to pay for them at the time they are scheduled. These landlords are still liable for penalty fees (See #4 and #5). They may be billed monthly for inspections conducted during the preceding 30-day period (month). Inspections remaining unpaid for 30 days following the billing will be determined to be delinquent. If payment is delinquent for 2 consecutive billing periods, the landlord may, at the discretion of the City Administrator or his designee, lose the privilege of monthly billing and will not be granted inspections or occupancies until paid.
The fee schedule is as follows:
- Rental Inspection Fee = $25.00
- Call back when the inspector was unable to access the property
for re-inspections = $25.00
- Re-inspection fee for 3rd inspection, without the issue being resolved = $25.00
- Penalty for occupied unit prior to issuance of “Certificate of Occupancy” = $50.00
Please call 417-725-5850 to schedule rental inspections.