How does the application process work?
Grant funds are disbursed on a reimbursement basis and cannot be issued until the proposed project has been completed. Façade work completed prior to the approval letter will not be eligible for funding.
How are projects selected for funding?
Funding is available as allocated from the City General Fund and will be available until all allotted funds are utilized. The selection process and the amount of any grant is discretionary.
Applications will be evaluated by the Planning & Zoning Commission with recommendations for funding forwarded to the City Council for final approval.
Depending on the number of applications, the City may assign “waiting list” status to projects that qualify for selection but are not selected during the current funding cycle.
The grant is limited to one grant application per property per year.
The evaluation criteria are as follows:
- Impact: Overall impact of the project on city beautification.
- Is the project located in a highly visible area?
- Will the improvements increase the economic activity and appeal?
- Will the project eliminate incongruent design elements or elements that pose a potential liability to the city?
- Does the project seek to restore the historical or architectural significance of the building?
- Financial Leverage
- Projects that leverage a greater private investment will be considered at a higher priority.
- Is the project feasible in cost and schedule?
- How permanent are the improvements and is there a maintenance plan for improvements?
- Will the completed work be sustainable and potentially transferable to a future owners?
- Community Contribution
- Is the applicant a positive presence in the community? Do they demonstrate a “good neighbor” policy towards other property owners?
- Is the area around the property kept clean and free of debris on a consistent basis?
- Does the property participate in organized promotions or other community-based activities?
- Does the applicant actively promote Nixa and their own property?
Complete application in full. You are encouraged to contact the Planning & Development Department staff prior to submitting the application. Staff can explain the process and consult on application requirements.
Complete applications will include:
- Application form and Agreement and Conditions Form
- Illustrations of the proposed work or architectural drawings
- Photos of the site and its relationship to adjoining sites
- Color samples and texture of finish materials, where applicable
- Contractor proposals: A qualified contractor proposal is required. Any project will require at least three (3) bids.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until allocated funds are depleted.
- The Planning & Zoning Commission will review the applications and, if all applications parameters are met, make a recommendation to the City Council, who has the final authority to approve or reject the application.
- Grant applicants will be notified following the decision of the City Council in writing whether their project will or will not receive the requested funding. The notification will outline the specified amount of the grant with information on any other requirements. The applicant can then proceed with necessary permitting and review process.
All applications must be returned to:
City of Nixa Planning & Development Department
P.O. Box 395
Nixa, MO 65714
What happens after a project is selected for funding?
1. Renovation/rehabilitation work must be completed within Six (6) months of approval. Depending on the scope of a project, extensions may be requested on a case-by-case basis. The City of Nixa reserves the right to cancel the grant in the event of failure to comply with the schedule provided.
2. All projects must meet all City of Nixa adopted building codes and guidelines for development of commercial properties along with adopted sign codes applicable to the project. The applicant is responsible for obtaining all building permits and any other required permits for the work to be done. The applicant is responsible for conformance with all applicable safety standards and conditions.
3. The applicant agrees to maintain the property and improvements.
How do I get reimbursed for my project?
Funds will be released to the applicant upon completion, inspection and documentation of the work and matching funds.
- Submit Reimbursement Request form, along with a financial summary report, copies of invoices and waivers of lien from contractors (and subcontractors, if applicable), proof of necessary building permits and photos of completed project. Costs must be itemized with comparisons to original application budget.
- Upon review and acceptance of the required documents, the City of Nixa will release the funds as authorized by City Council.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The fund recipient shall comply with all applicable provisions of federal statutes and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities for persons engaged in rehabilitation work undertaken in connection with program assistance.
Eligible Contractors: The applicant shall award contracts to the lowest bidder. All contractors, subcontractors and employees must be eligible to work in the United States and shall comply with e-verify.
Civil Rights: The applicant shall not discriminate upon the basis of race, color, sex, marital status, handicap, religion or national origin in the sale, lease, rental, use or occupancy of the property to be assisted with City funds.
Property Taxes, Special Assessment: No financial assistance will be provided from the Nixa Beautification Façade Grant Program if property taxes or special assessments are in arrears.
Tax Implications of Grant: The City makes no representation as to the tax consequences of a grant awarded under this program. The City urges any applicant to meet with a tax advisor to discuss the taxability of a grant under this program.