To apply to participate in the next Nixa Citizen’s Police Academy class, select the “Student Application” tab to complete and submit our online form.
Upcoming Program Dates
The next class is scheduled to begin on August 17, 2023. We will be accepting student applications from March through the end of June 2023.
The Nixa Citizens’ Police Academy is designed to increase understanding between adult citizens and the police through education. With a better understanding, it becomes easier for police and citizens to find realistic solutions to neighborhood problems.
Students who enroll in this free course will interact with various police staff while learning about their training, responsibilities, and work experiences. This program also provides the Nixa Police Department with an opportunity to answer citizen questions and learn how we can continually improve our service to the community.
- 11-week course
- Classes are held Thursday evenings from 6 pm-9:30 pm
- Dinners included
- Offered once each year, normally beginning in August (Course date pending)
- Traffic, DWI, and drug enforcement
- Domestic violence
- Officer safety and defensive tactics
- Use of force
- Evidence processing
- Court testimony
- Animal Control
- K-9 demonstration
- Nixa Emergency Tactical Team (NETT) demonstration
Students will learn through hands-on experiences including
- Mock traffic stops
- Mock domestic disturbance response
- Providing testimony in a mock trial
- Firearms training
- Tour of the Nixa Police Department
- Tour of the Christian County Court and Jail facilities
- Patrol ride-along