Annually the Nixa Police Department recognizes and acknowledges exceptional individuals or groups achievements, performance, proficiency, heroism and service of its members and individuals from the community through commendations and awards.
In 2019 the department updated guideline and policy for these awards and currently recognizes and presents wards from the the following five categories.
- Officer of the Year: An honor awarded to a Police Officer of the department by the Police Administration. This honor is awarded to an officer who has consistently exemplified the mission, vision, and values of the Nixa Police Department during the entire calendar year.
- Award of Valor: An award for actions above and beyond the call of duty. This award is given when an individual has exhibited exceptional courage, extraordinary decisiveness and presence of mind; or an unusual swiftness of action, regardless of his or her personal safety, o save or protect human life.
- Award of Lifesaving: An Award for actions by an individual to provide life saving efforts to a person or persons who, without immediate assistance, would be in eminent risk of death.
- Award of Merit: An award for exceptional work above and beyond the call of duty to improve the overall service of the department.
- Award of Marksmanship: An award given to an officer who demonstrates superior skill and proficiency in marksmanship during a given period, competition, event or incident.
Community Member Nominations
Documentation of a meritorious or commendable act submitted by a person from the community will be accepted in any form. However, written documentation is preferred. Documentation should contain detailed information regarding the matter, including:
- Identifying information
- For individuals from the community - name, address, telephone number
- A brief account of the meritorious or commendable act with report numbers, as appropriate.
Ways to provide documentation to the police department: